Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Cookies for Breakfast!

Today marks four months until the wedding! I have absolutely no graceful segue between that announcement and this recipe. I'm just really excited.

In my quest for healthy, tasty, mailable food for John, I came across a recipe for quinoa cookies. I was intrigued to say the least. And then, I had all of the ingredients, so I just had to try them out. The cookies use a TON of whole grains-- including whole wheat flour-- so I thought they might turn into pasty, dense globs. I was happily surprised. These cookies, while filled with nutrients and all kinds of good stuff-- are airy and  filling. I could see myself making these before road trips for on-the-go breakfasts!

quinoa, cookies , kitchen, deployment, recipes, recipe, cookie, oven, healthy, whole grains, whole wheat

This is not my recipe; however, I am adding my notes to it below. If you want to see the original, check it out here at Two Peas and Their Pod. 

You'll Need:
  • 2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (I did not have cloves on hand. Instead, I substituted cinnamon.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I did not have nutmeg on hand. Instead, I substituted cinnamon.)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup cooked and cooled quinoa
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and baking soda. Set aside. 
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar until smooth, about 3 minutes. (I don't have a stand mixer, so instead, I mixed it by hand with a wooden spoon. If you want an extreme one-armed work out, try it!)
  4. Add in the eggs, vanilla, and the applesauce and mix until combined. Stir in the raisins.
  5. Slowly add the dry ingredients into liquid ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in the oats, quinoa, and chocolate chips.
  6. Spoon about a tablespoon of dough onto a large baking sheet. Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are just barely set. (I made sure that the edges were brown before I removed them from the oven. That took about 15 minutes.) 
  Get some milk, dunk, and enjoy!
post signature

5 comments:

  1. Those cookies look amazing! Will have to try them sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! They were so surprisingly delicious! I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  2. You should be excited that your wedding is so soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excited doesn't even begin to cover it, haha! :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your wedding! Mine is a little over 3 months away!

    These cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me! Keep in touch!

Best wishes always,
Jo