Saturday, March 23, 2013

A Mailable Egg Hunt

It's almost Easter! Why not send an egg hunt to someone you love?

I did just that for both John and my kid sister, Becky, who's away at college right now. Toady, I present the box I sent her. Later this week, you'll get to see John's!

Because we had such an advanced notice of John's deployment, I had been stockpiling care package items after every holiday. (It's so much easier to send care packages all the time when you've gotten 75-90% off deals!) I've had packages of eco-friendly, paper Easter basket grass and two dozen plastic eggs stashed in my care package corner for a year now.You can imagine how happy I am that Easter is now here-- if for no other reason than to get that stuff out of my bedroom!

Becky's eggs were stuffed with mini Reese's  eggs. I also threw in a gigantic Reese's Egg. It is legitimately the largest peanut butter egg  I've ever seen sold. (Don't worry, this one was not hoarded from last year!) 

And, of course, I threw in Father Angle Time.

Who is that? you ask. Father Angle Time is only the longest running joke in my family's history! A few years ago, my sisters and I were shopping at a bent-and-dent discount store close to our folks' house. You know the kind of store-- industrial lighting, weird odds and ends in piles on tables, discontinued food... If you're looking for Israeli children's cereal or a ten-pound can of malted milk, look no further! And that's where we discovered the  greatest find of them all-- Father Angle Time.

We were perusing the party supplies and we saw the best sign in the entire world. In very bold handwriting it read, "Father Angle Time-- 99 cents!" (No, that's not a typo for angel. It specifically said angle.) Below the sign were at least 30 Father Angle Times stacked up like creepy, whacked-out, unblinking firewood. 

Instead, Father Angle Time looks like he just escaped from a demented psych ward. But he was 99 cents. We had to have him.  (Admittedly, 99 cents was probably too high of a price to pay for Father Angle Time.)

Father Angle Time shows up in unexpected places-- in the freezer, under pillows, hanging from a hook in the shower. When Becky left for college, we hid him in her suitcase. When she came down to visit us, I opened the fridge the day after she left to find him staring up at me between the juice and milk.

When I made up Becky's box, I had him in my possession-- he had to make the trip to her! It was too easy to hide him! And of course, Becky'd never expect to be there!

When she opened the package, she posted a photo on Facebook of Father  Angle Time uncovered, staring up from the box like the scary nightmare he is.

Boom, Becky. You got Father-Angle-Timed!

post signature