Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Military Books for Your Military Relationship (Part 3)



Last week, I began my Military Books for Your Military Relationship series. If you haven't yet, check out Part 1 and Part 2. I'm continuing today with Part 3 and three more books for your consideration.  

I've been so stunned and excited with all of the enthusiasm for this series from everyone. It's gone viral on Pinterest, which is also really cool (and surprising)! To wrap everything up at the end of the series, I want to corral your favorite (or not-sofavorite) military relationship books. What books have helped you? Which ones were a waste of time? Which ones do you wish you would have read earlier? Which ones grate your nerves? Leave your thoughts in the comments.  I want to hear from you!  

And with that said, here are the last three books on my shelf!


by Karen M. Pavlicin

If you are specifically going through or getting ready for deployment, you must read this book. Comprehensive and researched, it gives a very realistic portrayal of deployment from gearing-up to the homecoming. I really appreciated it's psychological bent-- having never gone through deployment, I didn't know what to expect. It details the stages of deployment. Knowing what most people do ahead of time really made it easy to try to avoid the same pitfalls. I truly attribute some of the relative ease we had with preparing to deployment to this book.


by Kristin Henderson

After doing a rudimentary search for "deployment books" on Amazon, I came across this one. It chronicles a group of women who all have significant others deployed during the Iraq War. It's very vividly written, well-researched, and comprehensive, but it's not a reference book. If you're looking for a how-to, While They're At War is not it. However, it's an excellent, quality read, and I absolutely recommend it, especially if you're gearing up for a deployment. Every so often-- especially when I'm having a rough patch-- I think about the book and I don't feel alone or stupid for feeling the emotions I'm feeling.


Navy Spouse's Guide  
by Laura Hall Stavridis

As I write this post, I have all of my books stacked next to me. Looking at them now, I'm fairly certain I never cracked this one... if I did, it was only briefly. I will probably take a peek at it after John and I are settled and I truly am a Navy spouse, but until then, on the bookshelf it goes!



What would books do you recommend?

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Jo, thanks for sharing this!! My cousin's wife is having a hard transition with him beind deployed and I know she's like these books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try, "Now You Tell Me: 12 Army Wives Give the Best Advice They Never Got." I just picked it up, but it has wonderful reviews from many different sources. Even though I've been an Air Force wife for almost 5 years (wow! Time flies!), there are still things I learn about the military on a regular basis. And, it's nice to hear from actual wives. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that! I will definitely have to check it out. Thanks, Rachel! :-)

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me! Keep in touch!

Best wishes always,
Jo