Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Jess's American Flag Seven-Layer Dip

This week, we're having a red, white, and blue spangled celebration! I'm feeling particularly joyful and rah-rah-go-America since John will be home soon. But, because he'll be home soon, I've got tons of things that need to be done-- including quite a few trips across four states over the next two weeks. 


Of course, I didn't want to leave my wonderful readers and friends high and dry  I've got some amazing bloggers for you to meet! They're all awesome at what they do-- whether it's crafting, baking, cooking, creating-- and I'm positive you're going to love them!



Check out all of the Made in America Week posts here.

Hi Jo, My Gosh readers! My name is Jess and I blog over at Flying on Jess Fuel. I'm a foodie, home cook, and proud Navy wife, and I've been reading Jo's blog ever since I first spotted one of her adorable care package ideas on Pinterest! I've always loved cooking, and on my blog I share my recipes and adventures in the kitchen. Jo asked me to share a patriotic recipe with her readers today and I was really excited to share one of my favorites! American Flag 7-Layer Dip from 



jessfuel.com

 I love any excuse to make fun themed food (holidays!), but I find that most of the ideas floating around the internet are dessert ideas. I love dessert more than most people, but sometimes I want to find something more unique to make. I came up with the idea for this dip after eating many berry flag cakes. Blueberries and strawberries make good stars and stripes, so why not tomatoes and beans!? I made this recipe for the 4th of July last year, but it would also be great at homecoming parties or any other patriotic event! I hope you enjoy the recipe and come check out my blog for more delicious food including another patriotic idea: Revolutionary Berries.

American Flag 7-Layer Dip

You'll Need:
  • 1 (16 oz) can refried beans
  • 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese, divided
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1 (2.25 oz) can sliced olives (optional)
  • 1 (16 oz) jar salsa
  • 1 (16 oz) container sour cream
  • 1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
Directions:

Spread the refried beans on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan or casserole dish. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, the scallions and olives on top. Then spread a layer of salsa over top, then a layer of sour cream.
Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top. Carefully decorate the surface as a flag, using the black beans and tomatoes. Serve cold or hot (pop in the oven at 375 degrees until the top is bubbly) with tortilla chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me! Keep in touch!

Best wishes always,
Jo