Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Crackers for Crackers!



Every once and a while, Pinterest makes me want to be super, duper healthy. Usually, I like to ignore how many chemicals and preservatives are in my food, but dang it, Pinterest-- you always show a perfectly-timed pin of a horrifying statistic or thought about how my food is slowly killing me. Not that I eat that many Wheat Thins to begin with, but John had just asked me to send him some boxes of them. Currently, he's a captive taste-tester (I think he'd eat homemade glass if I sent it to him), I thought it'd be a perfect time to try out a recipe for homemade Wheat Thins.

While the texture of the crackers is not exactly like Wheat Thins, the taste is pretty close. Try them for yourself and see what you think!

This is not my recipe; however, with so many Pinterest recipes, they need a little tweaking (which you can read below).  If you'd like to see the original recipe, visit Green Life Pages.

You'll Need:
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I ended up using about 2 cups total. The dough was originally too sticky to roll and cut.)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 4 tablespoons  butter
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water (or a tiny bit more if dough is too dry)
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
  3. Cut  butter into the flour mixture.  Mix together the water and vanilla and then pour into the flour mixture. Stir.
  4. If dough is sticky, add 1/4 of a cup of flour and mix. Continue adding a 1/4 cup of flour until the dough is able to be rolled out with a floured rolling pin. 
  5. Roll the dough as thin as possible (The thinner, the crisper the cracker.) Cut with either a pizza wheel or cookie cutters.  Sprinkle with salt and place onto cookie sheets.
  6. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
 
Check out Jo, My Gosh! tomorrow,  when I roll out another recipe! February is a new-recipe kind of month for me!

post signature

5 comments:

  1. not big on wheat thins although these star crackers look like they'd be fun to eat. i'm a newbie to your blog and i'm now following you on here and facebook as well. hope you'll do the same in return. and will add u to pinterest and twitter as well. and i added you on google plus. :D

    http://laneyg02.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinned it! These look delicious! I hope to make them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh love this. Im gonna have to try this recipe, I love wheat thins!

    ~Maria-Isabel
    www.agapelovedesigns.com

    p.s. Im visiting from mostly happenstance!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me! Keep in touch!

Best wishes always,
Jo