Tuesday, August 6, 2013

DIY Personalized Bridesmaids Dress Hangers



Pinterest, while it's really cool, and neat, and inventive and yadda yadda, is also the devil. It makes neurotic, OCD, crazy brides (not unlike myself) have unreasonably insane expectations for everything wedding.  (By the way, have you checked out my new Pinterest wedding board? You totally should! I'm happy to spread the crazy around!)

Through my hundreds of hours spent Pinteresting and looking through thousands of wedding pins, I noticed this very cool, but very expensive, trend of personalized dress hangers. There are many iterations of them-- some of them DIY-- but the pins mostly end at Etsy shops that charges upwards of $15 or more per hanger. 

Is it just me, or is that nuts? Hangers are cool and everything, but I wanted to get my bridesmaids something more meaningful than an artfully crafted hanger.

But, being a slightly neurotic bride, I still wanted the hangers for those cute "before getting ready" photo opportunities.

Not to mention, I knew that my girls would think the personalized hangers were cute.   I wasn't sure how I was going to DIY these bad boys.

And then a trip to Ikea happened.

Did you know that Ikea sells painted, wooden hangers? For $4.99 for an 8-pack?  They do. They're called Bumerang. I bought in white,  but they also have them in natural wood, grey/brown, and black. Essentially, they can match any wedding color palette.
You'll Need:
  • Letter stickers (I bought mine from Michaels, from the scrapbooking sticker section. These are heavy-duty stickers that are plastic-backed, rather than paper-backed with rhinestones and glitter.)
  • Ikea hangers
  • 8 inches of 3/8 inch ribbon per hanger
Place the stickers where you want them to be, add titles if you're so inclined, and then tie on a ribbon to add a little pizzazz and color! 

My hangers each cost about $2, and that's a generous estimate. I love the way they turned out (even though we forgot to use them the day of the wedding)!



Have you seen these other wedding posts?
post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me! Keep in touch!

Best wishes always,
Jo