Saturday, December 8, 2012

Sending a Sweet Treat


I know that every other day, I post something that I proclaim as my favorite whatever in some category or another. I'm highly excitable, optimistic person and I'm prone to a little bit of hyperbole, although really, at the time, I do consider whatever it is to be my favorite. I have a lot of favorite things. But really, and truly, this may be my favorite package out of all of my favorite packages so far.

My youngest sister, Becky, is a college student . So, when I received a poster in the mail packed in a huge cardboard tube, I looked at it and could only think the thought of someone who has been mailing way too much stuff in the past six months: I must send something in this.

Almost immediately, I realized that a huge poster tube makes the perfect funny and embarrassing package. Getting a tube in the mail is a rare occurrence, but getting a decorated one? Very rare, indeed.

I couldn't get over the image of Becky going to the commons with package notification in hand, and being given a four-foot peppermint stick. And then having to walk back to her dorm with it. Funny, cute, unexpected. Goofy. Check, check, check, annnnnnnd check.


If you want to send a giant peppermint stick:

You'll need:
  • a mailable poster tube
  • white duct tape
  • red duct tape
  • packing tape
  • 3-4 bags of candy
Directions:
  1.   Wrap the tube in white duct tape. Create a finished look by tucking the ends of the tape inside the ends of the tube. 
  2. Starting the red duct tape at an angle, tape a candy cane pattern onto the outside and tuck the ends of the tape inside the tube.
  3. Fill with candy. 
  4. Secure the caps on the tube with packing tape.
  5. Mail and be prepared to be stared at in the line at the Post Office.

Last night Becky called to say that she had picked up her candy cane. It makes me happy knowing that, even though we're apart, I can still treat and tease her like a big sister should.   My work here is done.


post signature

18 comments:

  1. I love your attention to your sister! What a fun surprise for someone special. Visiting from the SITS Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! :) Thanks for sharing it to our 12 Days of Christmas {Goodies} link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute! I love it! New Twitter follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! What a great idea to send to someone you both care about but have fun teasing! I may have to try this someday...sooner rather than later :) Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle! Definitely try it out-- it's such a surprise for the other person in the mail. If you do, send me a picture! I'd love to put it on the blog!

      Delete
  5. What a great idea. :-)
    Stopping by from the Sharefest!

    Ashley @ Bottles, Diapers... Babies
    http://forgetfulmomma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in, Ashley! Please come back soon!

      Delete
  6. This is A-Mazing! I wish I still had time to get one to Afghanistan before Christmas... I'm trying to think of something I could do that's similar for a January care package.... hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hmmm... I'm thinking now, too. You could send it this July (hopefully your loved one is not still there by then) for Christmas in July. You could always affix a huge cardboard star to the top and make it into a fairy godmother's wand for a Make-a-Wish theme. :-) That would definitely be unexpected! I'm going to keep thinking. There have got to be other ways to decorate those cardboard tubes!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks! :-) It cracked me up as I was making it.

      Delete
  8. Hi, Kathy! I just added a few of my Christmas links to your blog hop! Thanks for the invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from the blog hop. I will definitely use this idea next Christmas. I will have a college student next holiday (I am way too young and hip to be a college mom)
    www.cheermamadrama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is too funny! I've seen those mailing tube things before and this makes them so much better! wish I would have seen this before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I sent my brother a package for his birthday. But I made the box out of a Kotex panty liner box. Thankfully he thought it was funny!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me! Keep in touch!

Best wishes always,
Jo