Thursday, December 27, 2012

Crowdsourcing a Care Package

Jo,
I am eighteen years old and falling in love with my coast guard boyfriend. He has been underway once since we've been together or official as some would say. And he will be going underway once again in [the spring]...I want to send him sort of a care package. But since I cannot send it after he leaves I was hoping to find it all before he goes, and let him open [it] after he goes [underway again]...Now here comes the crazy part, WHAT THE HECK DO I GET HIM FOR ALASKA?!? Please help me find some cute ideas. I've thought of hand warmers, toe warmers, mint chocolates that he loves, and cute little proverbs we send each other. Feel free to email me back or run free with the idea. 
Thanks a million,
Chelsea
I think Chelsea's got a great start there. I've never been to Alaska, but just thinking about it makes me cold. I think the hand and toe warmers would be fantastic!  And, she's tailoring the care package to things she knows her boyfriend enjoys.
Here's what I suggested: 
Food
  • olive tapenade (or other spreads)
  • salsa
  • crackers
  • homemade cookies
  • homemade granola bars (John swears by these.)
  • teas
  • coffees
  • hot chocolates
(Just be careful-- I doubt that there's refrigeration underway, so make sure that the foods you send don't need to be chilled after opening.)
Sentimental
  • photos
  • mini scrapbooks
  • mixed CDs (or loading mp3s onto his iPod)
  • SD cards with pictures and video
  • letters (Number them so he knows in what order to open them. If that matters, of course.)
  • a touchstone (A small stuffed animal-- like a Beanie Baby-- or something that means something to the two of you.)
I've never sent a care package to someone underway; however, it would make sense to me that most of what Chelsea's boyfriend would need or would be able to keep would be consumables. That way he wouldn't have too much to store in what, I'm assuming, will be a very small personal space. 

Have you sent care packages to someone underway? Help out Chelsea and sling her some of your fabulous ideas! Either comment, tweet, or Facebook them! 



post signature

15 comments:

  1. i suggest:

    Handwarmers - my husband loved those.

    These Items you can get from the "Clothing Sale" at your nearest post.
    A PT Jacket/coat - They can always use extras
    Extra Socks

    Food:
    The packets of hot chocolate w/ the coffee containers (paper ones)

    Other:
    Heating Pad (battery operated)

    That's all I can think of right now since my husband always goes to HOT places. lol

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heating pad and PT jacket... brilliant, Rekita! I would never have thought of those items! Thanks for chiming in! :-)

      Delete
  2. They can always use cold weather gear (gloves, socks, hats, etc.)

    If you're looking for funny or cute, you could throw in something like a stuffed moose or bear...some kind of Alaska animal.

    I know they make warming lotions/body wash/face wash, if he is needing some necessities. Skin always dries out in cold weather.

    Any sort of comfort food would work - breads/crackers/soups. Try those Campbell's soups that you drink right out of the container (no bowl needed).

    That's all I can think of (for now) that no one else has mentioned. Good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot about drinkable soup! And I had no clue they make warming lotions/soaps. I might need to get those for me this winter! :-) Thanks for stopping by, Heather. You've got great ideas, always!

      Delete
  3. I am not sure what to send, but it is nice to always have something handwritten that expresses your love for the person...a card, a note in a pretty envelope or jar.

    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... handwritten notes, cards, and letters are some of the best things. I'd rather John send me letters than flowers or other gifts. Yes, stuff is nice, but there's nothing like reading a letter before bed. :-)

      Delete
  4. So I'm just thinking like a guy here... cause my boyfriend who is deployed REALLY is having a hard time without the "physical/romantic" stuff.

    I sent him some undies (his request), a small scrap book (smashbooks are amazing), a DVD of his whole family and friends saying "we wish you good luck and love and can't wait to see you" and a lot of healthy food. G got really sick of eating all of the junk food they keep there. So I'd recommend some fruit leather, or something other healthy foods. G loves the "Peter Rabbit fruit smoothies" that come in those little pouches. They don't have access to a lot of fresh produce so that really helps him feel healthy!


    Also -- not to be super weird -- but G loves my hair (i've got big curly hair) so I sent him a little lock of it too. He keeps it in his chest gear while he's out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are fantastic at care packages! I will have to check into the fruit smoothies for John. I haven't heard of those before. And I gave John a lock of my hair, too. I thought it was old-timey and romantic. Definitely not creepy or weird. :-)

      Delete
  5. Great suggestions Jo! I always like to send family who is overseas treats from home and snacks they miss and a good book or something to keep them occupied during down time. Love this post !

    Thank you, Mahalo so much for linking up to the Aloha Friday Blog Hop last week. I am following you back by the way. :)

    If you have time, we'd love to have you come and link up to the Aloha Friday Blog Hop if you haven't already! We are hosting a great giveaway too which is a wonderful opportunity to give some extra exposure to you lovely blog. Come and link up, enter the giveaway (if you haven't yet) and celebrate the coming weekend with us!

    Aloha,

    Jean {What Jean Likes}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Jean! I already linked up to this week's blog hop! I'm loving meeting new people from all over the place!

      Delete
  6. New follower from the blog hop! Love your blog & can't wait to get to know you more :) Have a great day!
    Rachel
    http://sugar-stripes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you on the Aloha Blog Hop. Followed via GFC, Twitter, and Bloglovin.

    http://www.happykidsinc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I found your blog through the blog hop and I'm your newest follower. Hope you'll stop by when you get a chance. Have a nice day!

    www.cranmersparadis.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea! I love that you answered her question publicly to give others an idea - how neat of you to help her out! I love it :) just found your cute blog from the Aloha blog hop! :) Excited to be following along! stop by and say hi if you get a chance! I love making new blogging buddies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me! Keep in touch!

Best wishes always,
Jo