It's been a while since I've posted a craft that has nothing to do with wedding planning! This one is one of my favorites. It's sure to be one of yours too. I have not been one to jump on the Chalkboard Paint Everything bandwagon. I think chalkboards are cute, but as a former high school teacher who had a chalkboard (and consequently, chalk dust) everywhere every day, it's not something that I want to welcome into my home.
Once you make your own, take it to church, a potluck, or a friend's house. Write down your name, the contents, a recipe, or allergy information. Doodle a cute holiday message or picture! The possibilities are endless-- just wipe it clean and start again!
- a paintbrush
- a bottle of chalkboard paint (I used DecoArt)
- masking tape or painter's tape
- a cookie tin
- washable marker
- white chalk
1. Remove the cookie tin lid from its base and wipe with wet cloth. Let dry.
2. Using a ruler, measure the top of the lid and mark the halfway point with a pencil or washable marker.
3. Lay a strip of masking tape across the middle of the tin. Make sure to firmly press the edges of the tape down so that paint can’t get underneath.
4. Using only vertical brushstrokes, paint one half of the top of the cookie tin. Let dry for an hour. Then, paint a second layer, this time using only horizontal brushstrokes. Let dry and cure for 24 hours.
5. Remove masking tape. If paint has seeped under masking tape, gently rub away with a finger.
6. Lightly rub chalk over the top of the chalkboard and wipe off with a wet cloth.
7. Add your name, recipe, allergy information, or other note and take to a picnic or potluck!
Cute and useful, don't you think?