John and I were in a predicament one evening this summer-- we had a loaf of delicious, homemade French bread (recipe forthcoming) and... Okay, that was the predicament. We just wanted to eat bread for dinner. To assuage my guilt over just having a whole loaf of bread to eat, I whipped up these little morsels of goodness! (And yes, we made the entire loaf and ate it in one sitting. Whoops. What a delicious mistake!)
- French or Italian bread (sliced at least 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick)
- mozzarella cheese
- Italian dressing
- diced Roma tomatoes
- basil and salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Place the slices of bread onto a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Layer diced tomatoes and cheese.
- Spread basil, salt, and Italian dressing on each slice.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese melts and slightly browns.