Wednesday, September 12, 2012

"Sing"lish Bulletin Boards

This school year, I've challenged myself to try to have a lot more fun in my classroom. So far, my bunch of kids are really great, and not having to deal with behavior management has given me time to be a bit sillier than I normally am. It's so wonderful to be able to be myself in my classroom, rather than a strict dictator.

I started with my classroom layout. I put up this Carly Rae Jepsen bulletin board because 1) I can only use part of this board since the bookshelf obscures it and 2) I saw something similar on Pinterest and thought it was fun.

The second poster is an awesome (read: extremely dorky) play off of Nicki Minaj's "Starships" for our vocabulary quiz average tracker.  (If you follow the link for "Starships," be prepared for an acid trip. It is weird... unless you think that Maori hip-hop dancers on an island being invaded by an alien in the form of a bikini-clad, green-haired, gigantic-badonked, sand-wallowing Nicki Minaj is reasonable and normal.)


And then (my favorite display of all), a nod to LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem" on my classroom door.

Currently, none of my students have said any of the following, "Oh, wow, Ms. G.! You're so funny!" "That is the coolest thing ever, Ms. G.!" or "This poster has changed my life! It's made English class relevant!" I have gotten a half laugh from one kiddo and a lot of eye rolls from the rest.

I'll take it. I spend a lot of time in my room. It's nice to look around the room and feel at home, comfortable, and happy. And, it's nice to crack myself up once and awhile with a stupid pun or two.

-Jo

1 comment:

  1. The English teacher that got me into college!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Ms G!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me! Keep in touch!

Best wishes always,
Jo